Compass Curriculum Submission
Compass Curriculum Submission
Using this form, faculty may apply to have Compass flags added, renewed, or removed from courses by clicking on the link above. After submission, applications must be reviewed and approved by the chair of the department offering the course (this process automated through the application system). Once applications have been approved by the department chair, they will be routed to the Compass Leadership Team for review. This process may take up to two months to complete, and the faculty submitting the application will be notified automatically by email once the application has been reviewed.
- Faculty submitting applications to add NEW flags to courses are asked to attend a brief meeting with the Compass Curriculum Committee to discuss their course. We will reach out to you directly to schedule the meeting.
- Courses in the College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences applying to add NEW Compass flags must also be reviewed and approved by the LAS Curriculum and Requirements Committee which may add up to one month to the total review process.
- Applications to RENEW courses are only reviewed by the committees for each area rather than the full Compass Curriculum Committee, and faculty are not asked to attend meetings.
- Because the process for renewing and adding new flags is quite different, a seperate form is required to add a new flag and to renew an existing flag.
To Do Before Submitting
Unfortunately, the current application system cannot save applications before they are submitted to Department Chairs for review. The application must be completed in one attempt.
To prepare for your submission, you can review the following resources.
1. Read the Policies and Course Snapshots for each designation you will apply for.
2. Read the list of questions for each compass designation and prepare your answers.
3. Prepare a sample syllabus for the course which meets the designation requirements.
- Be sure to include the Compass Syllabus Descriptions and Learning Objectives in the Sample Syllabus
4. Discuss the application with your Department Chair and collect their name and email address so they can approve the course.
Information about Renewal Applications
In fall of 2021, the Compass Curriculum transitioned our application system to a new software (from Cherwell into OnBase). Many courses scheduled for renewal have existing files in Cherwell with data and language that may be helpful as you apply to renew your course with Compass. If you would like to be emailed a copy of your previous application for a course, please reach out directly to Phillip Haisley - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about submitting a course for Compass approval, please contact Phillip Haisley - email@example.com
Special Information for Cross-Listed Courses
To aid in record keeping for the campus registrar, each version of a cross-listed courses must be submitted using a seperate application form. For example, if a course is cross-listed as both SOC 2020 and WEST 2020, a seperate form must be created for each course. The content of the forms may be identical. If a cross-listed course is submitted, each version must be approved by the respective Department Chair. For example the Department Chair or WEST must approve the WEST course and the Department Chair of SOC must approve the SOC course.